Friday, September 14, 2012

Taking the Ordinary and Making It Extraordinary!

Meet Brenda Pokorny from Beads & Pieces LLC...

I graduated from Miami University with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree, and worked in the design studio of Imperial Wallcoverings in Beachwood, Ohio after graduation. I then started my own textile design studio which I operated until I decided to stay home to raise my 3 sons. At some point, during naptimes, I began making mosaics…and became addicted! My youngest son is a high school junior, so that was 15 years ago. I have been making mosaics since. 

My first project was a coffee table, which is in our family room.  I also covered many other pieces of furniture in mosaic, as well as our kitchen backsplash, vases, pots and picture frames. In fact, I started selling my mosaics because I didn’t have enough space in the house for all of my creations.
I am inspired by gardens and nature, and by travel, art and ancient mosaics.  My creative process would be described as very random! Something I see will spark an idea, and I have to follow that idea right then. I keep a notepad with me, and many times have sketched ideas while waiting to pick up a kid after practice, or in a shopping center parking lot. You never know when creativity will strike.
My favorite project... In 2011, I was invited to be an artist in residence at Kenston Intermediate School, where I shared the art of mosaic with close to 500 fourth and fifth-graders. Together, we created 5 large benches and wall art pieces based on twelve character traits such as respect, responsibility, honesty etc. What a rewarding project this was for me. Not only did we create 5 incredible works of art, but I was able to share my enthusiasm for mosaic with a large captive audience!

There are two reasons I love creating. First, I love making something that will outlast me. That someday, a friend, child, grandchild maybe even, will hold a piece that I made, and think of me. Second, I specifically love the process of mosaics. I love cutting and fitting pieces into an image. I love working with glass and glass tile—the materials are so incredibly beautiful. And, I love seeing the whole picture emerge as I clean off the grout. It is like magic!

Meet Kelly Kolod from Kelko Design...
My name is Kelly Kolod, I was born and raised in Cleveland. I have always been a creative person, drawing and painting ever since I can remember. I was the friend that did everyone's art projects for them in school.  

After high school, I continued on to get a degree in Interior Design. I then worked as a Visual Merchandiser at a local Arhaus Furniture. I eventually left to run my family's cigar business, but I missed what I loved to do, creating art.  

That's when I decided to keep doing my art as a side job and also as a way of relaxation. I toyed with several ideas until I came up with the idea of creating unique jewelry organizers out of old drawers, spice racks, etc... and it has taken off from there.  
I love the idea of creating pieces that are considered UPCYCLED. Why not create amazing jewelry organizers out of unordinary items?

This is my first time participating in an Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show, and I can't wait!

Check out these featured vendors at the first ever 2012 East Side Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show. This eclectic show will feature up to 120 of the most talented artisans and crafters. A portion of the show's proceeds will be donated to the North East Ohio Make-a-Wish Foundation. This non-profit organization grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy.
2012 East Side Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, September 23, 2012, 1:30pm-6:30pm
Terry Macklin Entertainment & Event Centre
6200 Enterprise Parkway
Solon, OH 44139
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:



No comments:

Post a Comment