Thursday, June 13, 2013

Ohio Artists: Born & Raised

Meet Della Michalos from Michalos Design...
I am a native Northeast Ohioan. I was born and raised here, and have raised 3 children here. I think this is a beautiful part of the country and I am very inspired by the changing of the seasons and the beauty of nature evident here.  

I've been creating since early childhood. My family has many artists, but my strongest role model and inspiration was my Mom. She taught me to create beautiful things from a very young age. I've been a seamstress, a painter, a potter, a photographer, a dancer, a lover of music, and I appreciate any form of art.

This is my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show.
What began my jewelry designing was an evolution of my art. I had greatly admired the work of a local artist and began to make my own designs with inspiration from her.  

I discovered my talent at a very young age. I had always wanted to try all forms of art and creativity. I was drawn to creating jewelry designs when I began to be able to create pieces for friends and family. They give me their ideas and I enjoy finding the perfect materials and designs to make it happen!
My creative process almost always begins with beautiful materials I have found. I enjoy finding rich looking semi-precious and natural stones, and combining with sterling silver beads and findings to create my finished product. Often times, a customer has an idea of a shape, color, or design and I really enjoy taking those ideas to create the jewelry.  
In 5 years, I would like to see my business growing and thriving! I have 3 creative adult children who I hope to bring into the business.  

The message behind my work is: There is beauty in nature, and I enjoy using sterling silver and beautiful semi precious stones to create one of a kind pieces for my clients to enjoy.

Meet Lisa Martell from Pysanky Crazy...
I was raised in Parma, OH and a graduate from Parma High School; also a graduate of Cuyahoga Community College. Raised Russian Orthodox and attend church at St. Theodosius Russian Orthodox Cathedral, in my earlier years I was one of the Russian Dancers in Ohio attending many ethnic dance events including public hall. I learned the Pysanky Egg making from my mother at the age of 9 as a traditional Orthodox Easter event 41 years ago. 

Through the past 10 years, my craft has evolved and I now create eggs for all occasions and events. Including specialty eggs, Goose Eggs and holiday ornaments. It took me years to discover my talent since I actual only did the eggs yearly for Easter. It hasn’t been until the past 10 years that I realized I had a great passion for it.
This is my first Avant-Garde Art Show, I’m inspired to create by the mere enjoyment of the making the eggs. I also have so many great memories of making these eggs with my Mother who has now passed.
I hope to successfully grow our business Pysanky Crazy over the next several years stocking more specialty items, such as stands and filigree. I’m looking to teach classes to share such a great tradition and craft. Visit my site at: http://www.psyankycrazy.com

Meet Amanda Burkholder from SewCute Bags... 
I’m 26 years old and I am attending Stark State College to get my degree in Early Childhood Education. I enjoy spending time with my family and watching and attending sporting events.
I’ve been sewing small items by hand since I can remember. About three years ago, I asked my mom for a sewing machine for Christmas. Then, I learned how to use it and started making my SewCute Bags. I started selling my bags in November, 2011, at craft shows and to neighbors and friends.
When I’m out shopping and see new fabric that pops out at me, it inspires me to create new bags with the different prints. I love to find colors that go together.

I started selling my bags, when people I worked with saw them and would ask me if I would make one for them. Then my Mom said, I should try selling them at craft shows.
I have just started with a web site of my own. Sewcutebags.com  I’m hoping that once it gets going, I have a large following and it keeps me going for years.
My message is, “I bet you’ll be saying, those are SewCute by the time you’re done looking at them!” 

Check out these featured vendors at the 2013 East Side Summer Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show. This eclectic show will feature over 100 of the most talented artisans and crafters. A portion of the show's proceeds will be donated to the Cleveland Animal Protection League.
2013 East Side Summer Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, July 21, 2013, 12:00pm-5:30pm
Terry Macklin Entertainment & Event Centre
6200 Enterprise Parkway
Solon, OH 44139
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:

No comments:

Post a Comment