Friday, December 6, 2013

A week left until the 2013 East Side Winter Show!

Meet Carol from Artigiana...

I'm so happy to participate in the Solon show; this is my first Avant-Garde show! I hope the following will let you know more about me! I've been married for 33 years. Two children, seven grandchildren (number 8 will be arriving soon!), keep me busy and very happy. I am a dental hygienist and I work out at CrossFit. Most of my adult life I've done some type of craft. Currently I prefer to repurpose and create things from some unconventional things. I also enjoy making jewelry and decorating.


Usually I see an object or something at a resale or antique shop and think of what it could become. My daughter and I seem to come up with ideas for each other a lot. She likes to refinish and repurpose old furniture. I also use my time making things as a time to relax and think. Making candle holders began as I made some for our vacation home. After acquiring some old farmhouse windows I began to think of ways to repurpose them. I've always loved to make things. I don't remember a time that I didn't do some kind of craft.


Often I will start making something and change it or alter it as I go. It may end up completely different from what I first envisioned.I would love to share a small storefront with my daughter. We both truly love to create various crafts. We could sell our crafts and repurposed goods together!

Our world has changed drastically in my lifetime. We as a society have a very disposable mindset. I feel we have become very wasteful and have lost respect for old and used things. Some of these have the most beauty and character and I really love to show that.

Meet Maranda from SewRanda...


My name is Maranda, and I am a graphic designer for Whitemyer Advertising in Zoar, OH. I am a 2012 graduate of Kent State University, where I majored in Visual Communication design.
I have been sewing for a year and a half now. After graduating from college, I needed a hobby to keep me busy. This is my first Avant-Garde Art and Craft show, and only my third craft show that I have ever participated in. 
Curiosity inspires me. It’s how I got started. My grandmother used to sew matching outfits for me and my sister. She wasn’t able to teach me herself before she died, but just out of curiosity I started to sew. I’ve always been really crafty. I enjoy creating things. Finding my talent just kind of happened. I sewed my halloween costumes in college. They never had to be perfect so it was a good way to start.  
I would describe my creative process as a well planned mess. I start out with an idea for a quilt and then end up changing something or adding material halfway through. In 5 years, I would like to see this grow into a profitable business. I'd love to have a quaint fabric shop someday.

 Meet Janice from Plank House Art Studio...


Hello! My name is Janice and I am Plank House Art Studio! I received my Bachelor of Fine Arts from Ohio University, and I have been continuing my artistic pursuits ever since! Plank House Art Studio is located in renovated “out building” of our wood framed Victorian home.   Plank House Art Studio was named after the Plank Family, the last working dairy farmers who lived in our wood framed Victorian home.  The house is on the national registry and part of the Bath Scenic Highway in the greater Akron Area.

I really enjoy getting into the creative flow and designing beaded jewelry out of solid sterling silver, brass, copper and semi-precious stones. I get such a kick out of seeing customers wearing special designs from Plank House Art Studio. A treat for them and a treat for me too! 
I hope you will make every day sparkle a little with a piece of Plank House Art Studio’s “Elegant, Fun & Funky Jewelry.” I hope that my Elegant, Fun & Funky jewelry makes someone’s day sparkle just a little if not a lot.  Especially earrings! Earrings are such an easy way to brighten up every day. 



2013 East Side Winter Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, December 15, 12:00pm-5:30pm
Terry Macklin Entertainment & Event Centre
6200 Enterprise Parkway
Solon, OH 44139
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:

No comments:

Post a Comment