Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Color Me Bad- Artists & Crafters Who Express Through Color!

Meet Kelly Jadach from Kelly Girl Creations... 
I live in Medina, OH with my husband and two teenage sons.  I'm a stay-at-home mom and a self-taught artist. I have been creating things since I was very little.  As a child I made my own Barbie clothes and furniture for a doll house that my Dad built for me and my sister.  That started my lifelong love of (among other things!) miniatures.  As a teen I painted a bit and I've since painted quite a few wall murals in people's homes.  However, I was most fascinated with anything related to kiln work.  I bought my first kiln 15 years ago and worked primarily with Precious Metal Clay.  My PMC jewelry can be found in several galleries in Kent and Medina.  However, after working on such a small scale with jewelry, I felt the urge to create something bigger - which led to my love of glass fusing!  I have since purchased a second, much larger kiln that fulfills that urge!

This will be my first Avant-Garde Art Show and I am excited to be participating.  I hope to meet many new friends!

There are so many things that inspire me to create.  Sometimes I see a particular color that strikes a chord or possibly an abstract design in a magazine ad.  Believe it or not, a lot of my ideas come to me just before I fall asleep!  I think it’s because that’s when my mind is clearest.

There was no one thing that got me into the craft hobby, other than my constant desire to create something beautiful.  I'm happiest when I'm creating something and it's been that way since I was very young.  I spent hours at my "art table" in my parents’ basement making all kinds of creations!

I would describe my creative process as "fly by the seat of my pants"!  I almost never sketch designs out before working.  I've often read that an artist's designs should be sketched out first and I've tried to follow through with that but it just goes against my nature. I work best by experimenting while I'm working.
In five years I would like to see my Etsy site and my Goodsmiths site to have many new friends and followers!

All I really strive for in my work is to bring a little happiness into someone’s life whenever they use one of my pieces.  If someone picks up a platter or a dish that they've purchased from me and they think "I love this, its so colorful"... then I feel my work is a success.
https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif

Meet Cristen Magree from Rusty Bear Studio...
I was born and grew up here in Northeast Ohio while spending summers in Western NY state, immersed in the beautiful country life. After attending Kent State University for Earth Sciences, I settled in Aurora with my husband, Mark, and started my art business, Rusty Bear Studio. I have been fortunate enough to have my artwork accepted into galleries both in Ohio and Chautauqua, NY as well as producing commissions for people across the country.
My mother has been a prominent local artist since long before I was born so I began to create artwork from a very young age. I continued to challenge myself with new techniques after my academic career and, at the age of 25, began to develop my business. Now, at 30, I continue to push myself with new techniques and commissions and I enjoy every minute of it.
This is my second Avant-Garde show and am looking forward to participating in another Avant-Garde event at the Federated Church in Chagrin Falls later this summer.


I have a passion for science, geology and the outdoors, which I try to convey through each piece of artwork I create. I am constantly inspired by the colors, movement and history I see in the parks and countryside that we are lucky enough to have right outside our door here in Ohio. The words of Cole Porter have always been close to my heart, "Experiment. Make it your motto day and night." Without experimentation, I would not have found my footing in multi-media work. 
We are lucky enough to live in the age of information and technology. Without the ability to research and study the many new techniques that artists are coming up with at the touch of a fingertip, I would not have learned about fluid pour or alcohol ink painting. I am always pushed by advancements in the art world to try new things and evolve my style. 
I found my talent for art as a child, drawing and painting for fun alongside my mother and continued to hone my skills throughout high school and college, focusing on animation and Special FX make up. 
Once something inspires me to create a piece, I begin the process of finding color and movement that follows that inspiration. I will use several different mediums that will chemically interact with each other to create new designs and texture. Sometimes I will be working on up to 10 pieces at a time because my techniques call for each layer to dry almost completely before I can continue. I chose acrylic paint and alcohol ink as the bases for my pieces because of their shorter dry time. 
In five years I see myself with a new, larger studio space and a regular presence at more local shows.  
The message behind my work has been greatly inspired by Bob Ross, "I believe everyday is a good day when you paint, I believe it will bring a lot of good thoughts to your heart." Art allows you to see the world in a different light, it can change your mood and bring you to a place that you have never been to before, much like reading a good book. I hope that the colors, movement and subjects of my art bring a sense of peace and happiness to those who see them, as well as inspire a passion for nature.  
Meet Bonnie Francioni from Bon Bon Originals...
I have been sewing since I was 8 years old and designing for over 20 years. I love one-of-a-kind (OOAK) things and much of what I have listed reflects this. I had a children's dress shop in Louisiana in the 1980's, specializing in all things handmade, especially smocking. My mother, who was an incredible seamstress, taught me to sew. She is in a nursing home now and Alzheimer's has robbed her of her sewing skills, but in cleaning our her house we uncovered an amazing stash of fabric and notions, some dating back to the 1940's. My goal is to use up as much as her stash as well as my own so that my daughters will not have to eventually deal with it.  I stand behind everything I make and am careful to check every detail in the construction of my purses and garments. 

I have been sewing for 60 years and started designing little girls' dresses when my daughters were born in the 1960's.

This is my first Avant-Garde show!
Fabric inspires me to create.  I love color.
I got into this when people saw my daughters' dresses and asked me if I would sew for their little ones, but Etsy inspired me to sew for children I did not know yet.

My mother taught me to sew when I was 8 years old  I have always felt that I had to create, be it painting, pottery, gardening or sewing.
My creative process usually starts with a pattern.  I will picture what I want to make, maybe with different sleeves and a fuller skirt.  Then I start pulling out fabric and trims from my stash.

In five years I would like to not need a day job and spend my days creating.

The message behind my work is to dress children like children! Toddlers do not need sexy clothing no matter what the retail outlets think. My second message is to waste not, want not.  I use a lot of vintage lace and fabric, often mixes with designer stuff.  My patchwork dresses use up every scrap!

Meet Kevin McNaughton...

Kevin grew up in Sault Saint Marie, Michigan with seven sisters and a brother.  Over the years that I have known Kevin, I have listened to countless stories about his life as a young boy growing up and the many adventures he experienced, with several I consider life threatening.  Kevin was a lover of the great outdoors and would often sleep in his clothes so he could jump out of bed and get outdoors as quickly as possible.  As an adult, he still loves the outdoors, which is reflected in his work as an artist.  Kevin mostly works with oils on canvas with a focus on landscapes.  He is able to capture the natural lighting often found in nature scenes and produces breath-taking paintings.  He has a natural ability as well as a formal education from Kendall School of Design in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
After graduating from Kendall School of Design, Kevin moved to Austin, Texas where he worked as an artist painting murals in restaurants as well as producing paintings to be sold in galleries.  He took a break from oil painting and turned his attention to commercial art. After almost thirty years he has recently returned to his roots, oil painting.  I heard him tell his dad “this is what I am supposed to be doing and I think I will be painting for the rest of my life”.


What makes Kevin so interesting to know is his numerous and diverse talents.  Not only is he an accomplished artist, his talents range from remodeling old houses to setting up entire computer networks. He is a master story-teller and can keep a room full of people mesmerized for great lengths of time.  He is a father of four adult children and a grandfather to a beautiful little girl.  He currently lives in Upper Sandusky, Ohio and is an Artist full time.

2014 Heights Summer Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, July 20, 2014, 10:00am-5:00pm
Park Synagogue Main (Kangesser Ballroom)
3300 Mayfield Rd.
Cleveland Heights, OH 44118
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:




No comments:

Post a Comment