Thursday, July 17, 2014

Fashion and Face Paint! Adding Color to Your Life!

Meet Denise Knecht from Indulgence Studios...
I make natural gemstone jewelry.  I like to make bold looks with larger natural stones, but also make things that appeal to more traditional women who like contemporary looks with smaller stones.
Many common rocks become "gemstones" because of rare or unique colors or striations/patterns of color in the stone - all compliments of mother nature.  I look for unique stones & turn them into fashion jewelry.

For the July show I will have my black and white line, plus yellows, greens & beiges -- summer looks made of onyx, jade, moonstone, jasper and agate stones.

Meet Denise Doroney from Denise's Hat Creations...
In January of 2011, my mother and I reminisced about a time when I was a child and she had made her own hats and also for her 3 daughters. This

was during the 1960’s.  At that time ladies and girls alike were required to wear hats to church services.  Her hats were admired by all the ladies around her.  My mother was a very fashionable, creative and beautiful woman.  She had said if only she had kept going with making her designs.  She loved fashion and was the most talented person I knew with design and color, and also very intuitive about fashions to come.
We had then decided to start making hats again – together, combining our artistic talents, skills, and business sense.  She taught me all that she knew. When we began in March 2011, my mother kept saying she was doing this for me, to help me create a business that I would love and flourish with.  I did not understand it at the time, but I think she had a premonition about things to come.  

In July of 2011 she had become ill and passed away in September 2011.  Earlier in that year she and I had been talking on the phone about our stressors.  She told me the hats had saved her. And after she died, the hats had saved me.

That is how Denise’s Hat Creations was born.


I have continued to study and became a “self taught” milliner.  I had been an artist all my life but the hats were a new skill for me.  I developed a true love and passion for the millinery arts. I just fell in love with the hats!

I think about hat designs all the time, and I mean ALL the time.  It is my passion. My family enjoys it as well.  My husband and daughter are my biggest supporters and always encourage me.
Now that I am older I enjoy expressing myself through what I wear.  I love wearing different colors and accessorizing.  And I feel like a million dollars when I wear a hat!  A woman’s hat completes her outfit.  It makes a statement.  And I know by observation, the woman in the hat is the woman everyone remembers!

My love of fashion and style fuels my creativity.  My vision for my art is that I help women to feel comfortable to enjoy wearing a hat and to learn how beautiful it makes them look and feel.  

My plan is also to have my own successful business with my own shop within 5 years. This will be my second Avant-Garde show.  I am excited to be a part of it and to meeting fellow artists!

Meet Rachel Krislov from Rachel Krislov Studio...
I am a Shaker Heights, Ohio native who loves graphic novels, cats and edgy music. I just received my Post-Baccalaureate certificate from the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, after first completing my BFA in Printmaking and Drawing in 2011 at Washington University in St. Louis. I excitedly await beginning an MFA program in Print Media at Cranbrook Academy of Art this Fall.
I have been making art and crafting for most of my life, but my serious forays into costume makeup began in 2011. I have been sewing since I was a teenager. I make art about my life experiences. I make images to express my ideas. For example, to me, trees represent the complex relationship between life and death, and the also emotional and physical stability because of their roots. I love learning new skills because I sincerely believe that each new medium I learn gifts me with a new way of thinking.
When making art, I start with a concept and find an image that suits it. When it comes to crafts, I collect the most beautiful materials I can, and then let the way they look tell me what to make. The work I think of as my best is about how parts of life are connected to each other.
2014 Heights Summer Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, July 20, 2014, 10:00am-5:00pm
Park Synagogue Main (Kangesser Ballroom)
3300 Mayfield Rd.
Cleveland Heights, OH 44118
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:

No comments:

Post a Comment